Located to the east of Arusha town, about 20 kilometers drive from Arusha; Mount Meru is the second highest mountain in Tanzania. The mountain stands at an altitude of 4566 meters above sea level inside the Arusha National Park.
Meru has one route to the top and can be attempted for three days but we highly recommend doing for four days for acclimatization. Most alpines uses Meru for acclimatization before the Kilimanjaro climb. The mountain has less snow formed at the volcano eruption.
Unlike Kilimanjaro when you are climbing the Mount Meru you have to be escorted by an armed ranger(s) as you pass through the Arusha National Park. It is at this time when you will enjoy the walking safari as you pass the groups of African buffaloes, Zebras, Black andwhite colobus monkey just little wildlife to mention.
DAY 1:MOMELA GATE – MIRIAKAMBA HUTS
Elevation:1597m/5240ft to 2503m/8212ft | Distance: 13.8KM/ 8.6 M | Altitude gained: 906m
After breakfast depart Moshi about 8:30 a.m drive to Momella gate. Make payment and start the climb with picnic lunch to the first hut called Miriakamba hut. Dinner and overnight – Miriakamba hut (3 ½ hrs).
DAY 2: MIRIAKAMBA HUTS – SADDLE HUTS
Elevation: 2503m/8212ft to 3560m/11,680ft | Distance: 6.1KM/ 3.8MI | Time: 2.5 hrs
Altitude gained: 1057m
After breakfast we proceed with a climb to second hut called Saddle. This is too steep part compared to the first part (2 ½). During the afternoon, client can decide to attempt climbing little Meru peak and back. Dinner and overnight – Saddle hut.
DAY 3: SADDLE HUT – SUMMIT : 5.5KM/ 3.4MI :DESCEND TO SADDLE HUT
Elevation: 3560m/11,680ft to 4566m/14980ft | Altitude gained: 1006m
Descent to 3560m/11680ft | Altitude lost: 1006m
Wake up at middle-night and have a cup of tea before starting attempt big Meru peak. Proceed to summit crossing rocky path and back to Saddle hut for full breakfast. The day will be spent resting. Lunch, dinner and overnight at Saddle hut.
DAY 4: SADDLE HUT – MOMELLA GATE : 6.5KM/4MI
Elevation:3560m/11,680ft to 1597m/5240ft | Altitude lost:1963m
Leave Saddle hut and descend down to Momella gate via first hut (Miriakamba) where you will be transferred to Arusha/Moshi.
- Kilimanjaro trekking according to the itinerary
- Professional, English-speaking Wilderness First Responder & CPR certified Guide
- Proper Ration of Mountain crew (Cook & Porters)
- Pre and Post accommodations (2 nights Bed and Breakfast)
- Airport Transfers
- Meals according to the itinerary
- Drinking water and Full Board Meals
- All National Park & Hut Fees, Crew Permits and VAT
- Fair and Sustainable Salary Crew Wages
- Gate Transfers
- Complimentary Oxygen Cylinder
- Credit Card Transfer Fees
- Visa fees
- Travel or Medical Insurance is required and you should ask for Recommendation
- Gamow Bag
- Tips for porters and mountain crew (20% Industry Standard Recommended)
- Personal spending money for souvenirs etc.
- Energy food & beverages, alcoholic and soft drinks
- Personal hire gear such as trekking poles, sleeping bags, etc.
- Additional lodge nights if early descent from the mountain