Located to the east of Arusha town, about 20 kilometers drive from Arusha; Mount Meru is the second highest mountain in Tanzania. The mountain stands at an altitude of 4566 meters above sea level inside the Arusha National Park.
Meru has one route to the top and can be attempted for three days but we highly recommend doing for four days for acclimatization. Most alpines uses Meru for acclimatization before the Kilimanjaro climb. The mountain has less snow formed at the volcano eruption.
Unlike Kilimanjaro when you are climbing the Mount Meru you have to be escorted by an armed ranger(s) as you pass through the Arusha National Park. It is at this time when you will enjoy the walking safari as you pass the groups of African buffaloes, Zebras, Black andwhite colobus monkey just little wildlife to mention.
DAY 1: MIRIAKAMBA HUTS (FULL BOARD) | MONTANE FOREST
Elevation: 1,387 m to 1,500 m | Distance: 10 km
We drive from Arusha to Momela Gate. After a short registration at the gate, our walk will begin with a fully-armed ranger escorting us. Watch for wild animals including elephants, zebras, giraffe, monkeys, and antelope along the route.
DAY 2: SADDLE HUTS (FULL BOARD) | FOREST AND MOORLAND
Elevation: 2,514 m to 3,570 m | Distance: 8 km
The walk from Miriakamba Hut to the saddle below Little Meru is a short day but a steep climb.
The walk will take us slowly along the ridge for a spectacular view of the Meru Crater and the impressive Ash Cone. After a hot lunch at Saddle Hut, we will make a short climb to the summit of Little Meru (3,820m) for superb views just before sunset.
DAY 3: SUMMIT DAY (FULL BOARD) | ALPINE DESERT ,MOORLAND AND MONTANE FOREST
Elevation(m): 3,570 m to 4,565m to 2,514m | Distance: 5 km up, 13 km down
We start early at around 1:30 a.m. to climb steeply to Rhino Point (3,800 m) and on to Cobra Point (4350m). We reach the summit (4,566 m) in time for sunrise. There is a possibility we’ll see Kilimanjaro Peak above the clouds. The final part of the climb is along a spectacular narrow ridgeline between the sheer inner cliffs and the sloping outer wall of the crater. We take a short rest and brunch at Saddle Hut before continuing the descent to the Momella gate. The returning transfer will be waiting at Momella Gate to pick you to Arusha at a safari lodge.
- Kilimanjaro trekking according to the itinerary
- Professional, English-speaking Wilderness First Responder & CPR certified Guide
- Proper Ration of Mountain crew (Cook & Porters)
- Pre and Post accommodations (2 nights Bed and Breakfast)
- Airport Transfers
- Meals according to the itinerary
- Drinking water and Full Board Meals
- All National Park & Hut Fees, Crew Permits and VAT
- Fair and Sustainable Salary Crew Wages
- Gate Transfers
- Complimentary Oxygen Cylinder
- Credit Card Transfer Fees
- Visa fees
- Travel or Medical Insurance is required and you should ask for Recommendation
- Gamow Bag
- Tips for porters and mountain crew (20% Industry Standard Recommended)
- Personal spending money for souvenirs etc.
- Energy food & beverages, alcoholic and soft drinks
- Personal hire gear such as trekking poles, sleeping bags, etc.
- Additional lodge nights if early descent from the mountain